This classic, storecupboard white sauce is loaded with loads of cheddar and parmesan cheese. You can use it for all sort of dishes like macaroni or cauliflower cheese
- 500ml milk
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 50g butter
- 100g grated strong cheddar (or 50g grated cheddar, 50g crumbled blue cheese)
- A handful of chives
- Pour 500ml milk into a large saucepan and add 4 tbsp plain flour and 50g butter.
- Turn on the heat to medium and start to whisk the mixture. Keep whisking fast as the butter melts and the mixture comes to the boil – the flour will disappear and the sauce will begin to thicken.
- Whisk for another 2 mins while the sauce bubbles then stir in 100g grated strong cheddar cheese (or 50g grated cheddar, 50g crumbled blue cheese) until melted.
- Finely dice the chives, add to the sauce and stir them in.
Serve as a pouring sauce, or a sauce base for lots of dishes. Including my Cheesey Chicken & Stuffing Pies. Watch out for the recipie coming soon.