Here is another recipe from my New Years Eve party. Introducing the Black Forest Brownie. Who doesn’t love chocolate and dark cherries! Num. Watch out, these are particularly gooey and moreish.
- 400g caster sugar
- 225g butter, melted
- 60g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 225g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt500ml milk
- 1 Tin Dark Cherries in Syrup (around 400g undrained)
- 75g Dried Cherries
- A glass of Sherry (or Kirsch should you have some)
This recipe is best when you’ve have time to start it the day before.
The Night Before
- Drain half of the liquid from the tinned cherries
- Place cherries tinned cherries into a bowl with the remaining liquid
- Add the dried cherries into the bowl
- Add your alcohol of choice
- Leave for around 24hrs.
Don’t worry if you don’t, follow the instructions and pop the cherries in the microwave for a couple of minutes to help the dried cherries take on the flavour of the alcohol.
On The Day
- Mix all ingredients in the order given.
- Caster Sugar, Butter, Cocoa
- Vanilla Extract, Eggs
- Flour, Baking Powder, Salt
- Drain the Cherries & Add to the mix
- Stir in the Cherries gently to avoid breaking them up.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas mark 4 for 20 – 25 minutes in a rectangular 23x33cm greased baking tin.
Cut into bite-size squares, pile up on a plate. If you’re feeling really festive sprinkle on some edible glitter.