A few weeks ago I watched Simon Rimmer cook Roasted Hispi with Ham and Anchovy. Now I’m no fan of anchovies, but I realised that apart from his advice to serve with Bread the recipe was perfect for high protein low carb diet meal.
So, after the program, I popped ‘down the shops‘ and picked up what I needed for my tweaked version. Here is my Braised Cabbage with Ham Hock, a Seriously tasty, filling dish. OMG, it’s SO GOOD!
- 2 small cabbages, outer leaves removed and cut in half
- 125ml olive oil
- 2 cloves sliced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 100ml white wine
- zest n juice 1 lemon
- 200g shredded ham hock
- 25g butter
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, when its hot put the cabbage, cut side down and cook for 3 minutes until charred, remove.
- Pre-Heat an oven proof dish, something like a casserole dish.
- Turn down the heat, add the garlic, oregano, cook 3 minutes.
- Add wine, reduce by half.
- Add the cabbage to the pre-heated dish along with butter and a little water.
- Cover with foil, roast until tender at 180c
- Take off foil, sprinkle on the ham, and a squeeze of lemon.
Best served in a bowl, and with a spoon to make sure none of the sauce is wasted!